Sunday, October 07, 2007

08.10.2007 - Persistent precipitation predicaments

Its chucking it down again I'm afraid. Whatever water got launched into the atmosphere by the recently departed Typhoon is now coming crashing down on our heads. Not much fun to be had when it's so wet. I should really buy a towel to dry the seat of my scooter if this keeps up. No fun in a wet bottom. I could have slept better last night too, weird dreams which I've all but forgotten, must have been the pesto and cheese sandwich I ate before I hit the hay. Was up playing Wii til about 1am and then I listened to pod casts before drifting off.

I felt fine until I got to class and then the dreariness hit me. I gulped down two cups of Nescafe brown wake up acid and set about putting up a bulletin board. The typhoon had torn a hole in the one next to mine, lucky I didn't put mine up until today. The entire wall had been wired down to stop It flying around in the wind and now I had to find some wire cutters. Having unchained the wall I slapped up my poster. I cautiously stepped up to the stage in the rain only to find it wasn't quite straight. I called the head teacher to take a look but I guess I was the only one to notice. The precarious ladder I had borrowed wouldn't close, the latched were all rusted so I had to carry it back as it was. Hoping no one noticed I scurried off for another cup of coffee.

I bought a bottle of red wine for the guy who helped me to sort out the whole tax rebate thing. He said he was only kidding but I think he appreciated the small kick back from the whole ordeal, however small. Shopping last night I saw so many things I wanted to buy, Mac book, FFVII:Crisis core, X-box 360, Mobile Phone, Sony Bravia TV. I resisted them all and left with only groceries. Bought some more Hokkaido milk, as featured many moons ago on a video of mine. I also ate when I was out shopping but I haven't for the life of me been able to find one decent steak on this whole Island. They are always completely under cooked and have a texture more akin to a jelly fish than a cow. I asked why this was once, someone told me the Taiwanese add some chemical to the beef which makes it all soft and gooey. Bleauh! I also heard that a lot of the meat is imported from china, make of that what you will.

Well, at least I get fed at school for free, and we never get steak but at least its free. Free food is the best kind of food. There's no monetary or physical investment in free food and therefore no margin for disappointment. Taichung does have great Indian restaurants though, and with all this wet weather a good curry may be just the thing I need.

Til next time,
This has been MMI

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude, nice to see another post! We always complain about the weather here but I think we just get a nice middle ground but sounds like when it bad over there, its real bad. You should carry a plastic bag on your scooter (scrunch it up so it takes up no room) and when you get off place it over the seat. When you come back it will be nice and dry!

Sorry to hear about your steak dilemma! We'll be sure to all go out for steaks next time we meet up.

Stay safe dude
Dave x

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Man!

Crazy to hear about the weather you've got going on over there - I dread to think what Michael Fish would make of it all! Hope it doesn't get too bad for you - make sure to keep yourself safe.

I think Dave's seat/bag solution is a great tip for your scooter, but the other option would always be to tape the bag to your butt instead, and that way it'd always stay dry ;o)

Good one for showing some resistance to technological temptation so far - you'll have to let us know when you finally crack!

Peace out
Liz x

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, just wanted to add that those beach pics are great. I think flickr takes its time to catch up as they weren't there a bit ago. My vision of Taiwan is changing thanks to your exploration.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see some semi regular posts. The weathers been pretty dreary here. Not typhoon standard just a bit depressing. I havn't had a chance to check your beach pics yet as my PC is running too slowly to even load pictures for some reason but i'll be sure to check them out soon. Did you hear that NOVA's going bust? glad i was able to get out before it hit the fan. Got a couple of interviews for other ESL jobs tho so will hopefully still get a chance to go. Stay safe chief

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home